Title: HCD Design Consultants
Type of contract: Consultant
Expected Start Date: Flexible
Duration of assignment: Until September 2023
The HCDExchange is a knowledge hub dedicated to exploring how human-centered design (HCD) can improve sexual and reproductive health (SRH) needs and rights for young people (HCD+ASRH). It is managed within JSI’s Center for Health Information, Monitoring and Evaluation (CHIME), a technical assistance, research, and knowledge group dedicated to improving the quality of health information and increasing evidence-based decision making in the health sector. The HCDExchange convenes a global Community of Practice (CoP) that drives, shares and increases learning to help shape this field. The CoP consists of implementers, funders, designers, evaluators and youth who share our vision. We focus on low-resource settings, with a particular focus on countries in Sub Saharan Africa and South Asia. The HCDExchange aims, through our learning, to accelerate the field of HCD+ASRH and thereby elevate young people’s agency and transform sexual and reproductive health outcomes for youth and adolescents. This role serves on the senior management team and is client facing.
Why we want to engage you
The HCDExchange is looking to create a roster of designers with expertise across the HCD process. As part of its technical assistance model HCDExchange will offer support to global health organizations that are looking to integrate HCD into their organizations and programs.
This call for application has been established to meet HCDExchange’s objective of creating a roster of vetted candidates who are ready for immediate selection in anticipation of continuous needs for design technical assistance. The roster of designers will be reached out to, as and when there is a technical assistance requirement for an organization. Depending on the scope of work and timelines of the requirements that organizations have, they will be engaged based on their availability and expertise. The scope of the technical assistance that HCDExchange will offer includes strategic design direction, and application and integration of HCD processes and methods within the organizations or its programs.
What you might expect from this engagement
In collaboration with the HCD Specialist, design consultant/s, and program implementers in potential global health organizations, the design consultant will:
- Support members of the HCDExchange Secretariat in defining a strategic direction and process for the organization’s brief.
- Work collaboratively with the HCDExchange team members and team members of the organization to implement activities agreed upon.
- Facilitate and lead engagements or workshops with support from the HCDExchange Secretariat.
- Document the process of technical assistance alongside the HCDExchange Secretariat members.
What we are looking for
- Experience in applying HCD methods and processes across varied contexts and organizations.
- Experience in conducting research activities and eliciting and interpreting insights from various audiences into usable learnings that clearly communicates the audience experiences.
- Experience in planning and facilitating co-creation and ideation workshops, and synthesizing learnings that emerge from the workshops to drive strategic decisions.
- Ability to build capacity and create resources that enable other members of the organization’s team to take on facilitation roles.
- Experience building and iterating on prototypes and testing them with relevant audiences for feedback.
- Experience in using design softwares to build prototypes.
- A formal education in Design (Visual/Graphic, Interaction, Product, Industrial, Service, etc.) A Masters Degree would be considered a plus.
- Qualification in and/or significant experience (5 years) using human centered design (design research / design thinking) research methodologies preferred. Experience working in the social impact sector particularly in projects related to global health.
- Experienced global field researcher; ability to professionally manage research methods, and work within a team environment.
- Knowledge of emerging research approaches, tools, and ways to present findings.
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills.
- Work well independently and in teams.
- A portfolio of HCD projects with a clear summary of contribution to the project.
Bonus! Tell us if:
- You have understanding of digital UX and global web platforms
- You speak and/or write a second (particularly French) language
Duration of the Assignment
The period of this consultancy agreement will be spread over from April 2023 to September 2023. Upon pre-qualification, the exact number of hours/days will be determined based on the assignment and in consultation with the HCDExchange team.
To apply, please visit this link and submit your CV and a 1 page cover letter outlining why you’re an excellent candidate for this role or use the form below. JSI is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status, or other protected characteristics.
The application deadline is March 31, 2023, 5pm EAT. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please note that:
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We do not solicit for any fee payment at any stage of recruitment