Title: Translation and Interpretation Services (French/English)
Type of contract: Vendor type contract
The HCDExchange is a community of implementers, funders, designers, evaluators and youth committed to advancing learning and practice related to the integration of human-centered design (HCD) and adolescent sexual and reproductive health (ASRH) in low-resource settings, with a particular focus on countries in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia. The HCDExchange aims, through our learning community, to accelerate the field of HCD+ASRH and thereby elevate young people’s agency and transform sexual and reproductive health outcomes for youth and adolescents.
In 2018, The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, William & Flora Hewlett Foundation, and the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation funded a convening in Tanzania bringing together people and organizations working at the intersection of HCD in ASRH. This gathering showcased best practices, generated interest, and resulted in the launch of working groups to advance this field. More importantly, those involved started to see themselves as a community with a shared agenda.
In 2021, this same set of funders supported the next phase of this work – the HCDExchange – a community built on a collaborative model and dedicated to (1) establishing a supportive infrastructure, and (2) facilitating commitment amongst key actors. We envision: a democratized (inclusive of diverse participants), localized (contextually relevant ), and mutualized (jointly owned) HCD+ASRH field. During this phase, we are accelerating the development of a robust, efficient, and transparent HCD+ASRH field by increasing access to learning and networks and generating evidence about good practices, models, and effectiveness.
Purpose of the consultancy
HCDExchange is seeking vendors to provide French-English / English-French document translation services and interpretation services for in-person and virtual community events and meetings.
|Offer live interpretation services for our community events.||Delivery of simultaneous English to French / French to English live translation services during the community events and HCDExchange meetings.|
|Work alongside the HCDExchange Director and Project team to translate our learning materials from English to French and French to English||Delivery of translated documents for use in the HCDExchange community of practice, events and meetings.|
The French vendors will work under the direction and supervision of the HCDExchange Project Director (based in Kenya) who will be the consultant’s focal point-person, overseeing the consultant’s work over the period of engagement. He/she/they will have touchpoints with other members of the HCDExchange secretariat.
- The individual or translation firm should have a minimum of 7 years of experience in technical translation and interpretation services in multiple sectors and for various clients for French-English / English-French.
- Expertise with translation of texts on Public Health, Sexual and Reprodcutive Health and Rights (SRHR) and particularly Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health would be a definite assets.
- Be creative in their interpretation approach; adaptive to a young audience
- Be based in Africa
- Having an affiliation or certification with a professional translation association( CTTIC, ATA, ITI etc) is a plus.
- Rates for editing, formatting, proofreading and interpretation services must be provided and listed separately (For individuals, please submit it as an appendix in the cover letter. As for firms, submit a financial proposal)
Duration of assignment
The period of this vendor type agreement will be spread over from January 2022 to March 2023. Upon pre-qualification, the exact number of hours/days will be determined based on the assignment and in consultation with the HCDExchange team.
At HCDExchange, we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our employees. We encourage applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, races, religions, beliefs, disability status, and all other diversity characteristics.
To apply, please fill the form below and submit your CV, a portfolio of your previous work and a cover letter. Please add your rate card to the cover letter as an appendix. Firms can also submit an expression of interest inclusive of rates for interpretation and translation (timelines for translation). The application deadline is 5pm EAT on January 10, 2022. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please note that:
- You can apply for document translation, live interpretation, or both.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- We do not solicit for any fee payment at any stage of recruitment.
- The selected vendor/firm will have a meeting with the team to agree on the deliverables.