We’re hiring: Social Media Intern
Title: Social Media Intern
Type of contract: Internship
Expected Start Date: September 2021
Duration of assignment: 6 months
Purpose of the Role
The HCDExchange Social Media Intern will assist the HCDExchange Communications Specialist to manage the HCDExchange’s social media channels as well as support the growing need for the HCDExchange to have additional and intentional youth-oriented content. The role includes the planning, creating and posting of content, as well as thinking through youth-oriented approaches with the Communications Specialist, Community Manager, Youth Engagement Coordinator and select Youth Leadership Hub Associates.
- Supporting in the management of the HCDExchange’s social media accounts by planning, creating, and scheduling multimedia
- Producing regular communications assets such as graphics, short videos, GIFs and other images and sharing across social media channels
- Designing youth-focused social media campaigns targeted at educating and inspiring young people who work at the intersection of HCD and ASRH
- Maintaining an up-to-date social media calendar which is linked to the main editorial calendar
- Attending events to live tweet and also capture content that can be incorporated into emails and other content production forms
- Management of social media accounts, including our Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram accounts
- Designing of social media campaigns
- Pre-filling of social media calendar in advance for approval from the Communications Specialist
The Social Media intern will work under the direction and supervision of the Senior Community Manager (based in Kenya), who will be the intern’s focal point-person, overseeing the intern’s work over the period of engagement. The intern will work closely with the Communications Specialist (based in Ghana) on the key activities listed above, and other team members on a need to basis.
To be successful in this role, you will need a mix of visual, writing and strategic/process development thinking. You will also have some knowledge of graphic design and digital typography, as well as some experience executing social media campaigns. Additionally, you will require:
- Excellent writing and editing skills with an emphasis on writing for digital consumption. Knowledge of French is a plus.
- Strong graphic design skills with proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite and/or Sketch/Figma/Canva
- Experience with digital design and video editing softwares
- Experience with social media management tools like ContentCal, Hootsuite or Later
- Experience or keen interest in human-centred design and/or adolescent reproductive health is a plus
- This role is most ideal for a recent or a soon to be university graduate (first degree in journalism, international relations, communications, media or related discipline)
Duration of Assignment
12-15 hours a week for six months with the possibility of extending the internship. This is a paid internship.
To apply, fill the form below and submit your CV, samples of your previous work and a short cover letter explaining why you are an excellent candidate for the role, in the form provided. The application deadline is 5pm EAT on September 12, 2021. Note that this is a “local hire” – This position is for Kenyan nationals only. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.