Title: Knowledge Translation Consultant (SRHR)
Type of contract: Consultant
Expected Start Date: October 2021
Duration of assignment: 6 months
NOTE: This role was previously advertised as “Knowledge Management and Communications Consultant.” For those who have already applied, you do not need to submit another application.
Purpose of the Consultancy
The consultant joins the team to support the curation and dissemination of learning related to the emergent field of practice at the intersection of Human Centred Design + Adolescent and Reproductive Health (HCD+ASRH), providing technical support to the Learning Pillar. This consultancy is intended to bring expertise in the production, translation and dissemination of learning materials based on several landscaping studies and other resources recently completed.
The consultant will support generation and dissemination of learning related to HCD+ASRH. In close collaboration with the Learning Lead, the consultant will review, distill, write content and package learning from landscape analyses related to the four priority focus areas – adolescent insights generated with Human Centred Design (HCD), youth integration in the context of HCD+ASRH, HCD+ASRH quality and standards, and HCD+ASRH measurement evaluation. Products include full reports, technical briefs, short summaries, and possibly technical tools or short guidelines. The consultant will also help frame the learning strategy through advising on the delivery of learning products to serve different audiences – ASRH implementers, designers, evaluators, youth, policy makers, and funders.
The aim of producing these products is to disseminate our work to the HCDExchange Community of Practice as well as global health and design professionals and funders, leveraging existing networks and forums in the Global South regions of South Asia and Sub Saharan Africa to drive and advance learning on the integration of HCD in ASRH.
These will be executed with the oversight and inputs from the Learning Lead:
|Work proactively to identify potential products to translate and share learning and evidence that has been curated and generated by the HCDExchange||Develop a work plan outlining key tasks over consultancy period with guidance from Learning Lead with input from the Community Lead and the rest of the team|
|Develop and assist in substantive review/editing and development of learning products outlined in the Learning pillar work plan||1) Contribute to Learning product designs
2) Design and write short versions of reports and develop other potential materials for translation and sharing learning from from large research reports related to: Adolescent Insights and Youth Integration
3) Design and writing of technical & research briefs for all four learning domains (Adolescent Insights, Youth Integration, Quality Standards, and Measurement Evaluation)
4) Design, write and produce related learning translation products related to these and other topics curated by HCDExchange, including those related to adolescent Insights and Youth Integration
|Based on synthesis of HCDExchange learning, guide the HCDExchange delivery team and Management Team in crafting ad hoc messages and deciding what information materials to create to showcase project milestones, and progress||Messages synthesized for the community of practice personas|
|Alongside the HCDExchange Secretariat team, identify publications, tools, and job aids related to HCD+ASRH for uploading into the Resource Library, and construct short abstracts (under 150 words) on the value of these resources and key words||1) Resources in HCD+ASRH identified
2) Abstracts developed and submitted to HCDExchange Resource Library.
The Knowledge Translation Consultant will work under the direction and supervision of the Learning Lead, based in Nairobi, Kenya.
- BA or MA in public health or related field, or communications-related field.
- Strong demonstrated experience in technical writing, product development, knowledge translation and/or communications in ASRH or SRHR and/or human centered design (HCD).
- Proven ability to collaborate in conceptualizing, planning, and transferring technical and operational learning.
- At least 8 years experience working in public health or related fields in technical writing/editing, product development, knowledge translation and/or communications. Past experience working on SRH with a focus on adolescents and/or youth. Experience working in HCD is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in developing content that clearly communicates ideas, lessons learnt and experiences for print production (technical briefs, posters, popular reports), for dissemination on platforms that include web, conferences, and audio-visual productions.
- Excellent written, oral, and comprehension command in English. Knowledge of French is a plus.
Duration of Assignment
This assignment is expected to take 18 days a month (assuming 85% LOE) spread over 6 months from October 2021 to March 2022. The consultant will invoice for approved consultancy days required to achieve the required deliverable upon an agreed timeline.
To apply, fill the form below and submit your CV, samples of your previous work where you have been the lead writer/developer/author and a short cover letter explaining why you are an excellent candidate for the role, in the form provided. The application deadline is 5pm EAT on September 30, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.