Title: Visual Communications Designer
Type of contract: Short-Term Consultant
Expected Start Date: Jan/Feb 2024
The HCDExchange is a knowledge hub and market shaper for driving supply and demand for locally-led human-centered design and Public Health (HCD + Public Health). The HCDExchange spearheads knowledge and engagement around design for health, stimulates workforce development, and provides technical guidance and assistance for country-based public health actors to integrate design into their practice. It is managed within JSI’s Center for Health Information, Monitoring, and Evaluation (CHIME), a technical assistance, research, and knowledge group dedicated to improving the quality of health information and increasing evidence-based decision-making in the health sector. The HCDExchange convenes a global Community of Practice (CoP) that drives, shares, and increases learning to help shape this field. The CoP comprises implementers, funders, designers, evaluators, and youth who share our vision. We focus on low-resource settings, with a particular focus on countries in Africa and Asia.
Purpose of the role
The HCDExchange Visual Communications Designer (VCD) joins the team to support the creation of ongoing digital (and some traditional) communication collateral and material that will help build and effectively communicate our brand story, stories from the field, and of our partners, collaborations, and events.
The VCD will play a critical role in shaping our evolving visual and brand identity and enhancing our global presence in the next phase of our organization. Your mission is to craft engaging and memorable design, content, and branding products that contribute to creating a unique brand style and bring our organizational purpose to life on the next iteration of our digital platform and all of our other creative assets and documentation outputs.
The VCD should have a range of skills and experience that must include advanced skills in graphic design, layout, and illustration. Any other skills, like data design and animation, would be most welcome. They should also be able to take direction well, work in a small team, work independently across time zones, and meet short deadlines. Ideally, the designer should be based in the Global South and deeply understand multiculturally localized storytelling and aesthetics.
Key activities and deliverables
|Create high quality and adaptable organizational HCDX branded products that can include but are not limited to:
|Website Front End
|Work closely with the website team to develop front-end design and graphics for our different website platforms.
|Website Content Updating
|Creating thumbnails, blog post headers, and other website graphics as required for our content bank. Assist in rebranding all backdated collateral to match the evolving online branding.
|Create illustrations for use across communications products (storyboard and simple persona illustrations), infographics, and information design.
|Patterning and Iconography
|Create some iconic iconography with the HCDX brand. Work with patterning and textures to bring our brand to life across different mediums.
|Organizational brand and document design and layout
|Assist in refreshing brand and organizational templates and documents as required.
The visual communications designer will work under the direction and supervision of the Communications Lead. The designer will work closely with other members of the HCDExchange as needed.
- Seven or more years experience in an in-house creative department or design firm
- Advanced experience with Adobe Suite
- Ability to create templates on Adobe Suite Sketch/Figma/Canva as required
- Understanding of designing products for diverse audiences and across cultures and languages
- A high understanding of UX/UI and how to design user-centered collateral is important.
- Some art direction experience would be welcome, must be passionate about good and current aesthetics and design that represents the Global South
- Critical thinker and creative mind, in touch with global and local design trends, who pays specific attention to visual details
- Ability to take direction, work closely in a team while being remote, and accurately execute feedback throughout the creative and communication collateral development process
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage time across multiple activities and zones, and willingness to work with teammates from different time zones
- Proven portfolio of graphic, illustration, DTP, and other design
- Experience in front-end website and app design required
- Ability to animate or create motion design – short videos and gifs
- Previous work within the global health space is a plus.
Duration of the Assignment
The period of this consultancy assignment will begin in January 2024. This will be a part-time role with an LOE of approximately 2 days a week.
To apply, please visit this link and submit your CV and a 1-page cover letter outlining why you’re an excellent candidate for this role. JSI is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate based on age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status, or other protected characteristics.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please note that:
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- We do not solicit for any fee payment at any stage of recruitment