Title: HCD Design Consultants
Type of contract: Consultant
Expected Start Date: Flexible
Duration of assignment: January to December 2024
The HCDExchange is a knowledge hub and market shaper for driving supply and demand for locally-led human-centered design and Public Health (HCD + Public Health). The HCDExchange spearheads knowledge and engagement around design for health, stimulates workforce development, and provides technical guidance and assistance for country-based public health actors to integrate design into their practice. It is managed within JSI’s Center for Health Information, Monitoring, and Evaluation (CHIME), a technical assistance, research, and knowledge group dedicated to improving the quality of health information and increasing evidence-based decision-making in the health sector. The HCDExchange convenes a global Community of Practice (CoP) that drives, shares, and increases learning to help shape this field. The CoP comprises implementers, funders, designers, evaluators, and youth who share our vision. We focus on low-resource settings, with a particular focus on countries in Africa and Asia.
Purpose of the role:
The HCDExchange seeks to create a roster of designers with expertise across the HCD process. As part of its consultancy services model, HCDExchange will support global health organizations looking to integrate HCD into their organizations and programs.
This call for applications has been established to meet HCDExchange’s objective of creating a roster of vetted candidates who are ready for immediate selection in anticipation of continuous needs for design technical assistance. The roster of designers will be reached out to as and when there is a technical assistance requirement for an organization. Depending on the scope of work and timelines of the organizations’ requirements, they will be engaged based on their availability and expertise. The scope of the consultancy services that HCDExchange will offer includes strategic design direction and application and integration of HCD processes and methods within the organizations or its programs, leading to increased access to HCD knowledge and practice to drive demand for HCD and public health in Africa and Asia.
In collaboration with the HCD Specialist, design consultant/s, and program implementers in potential global health organizations, the design consultant will:
- Support members of the HCDExchange Secretariat in defining a strategic direction and process for the organization’s brief.
- Work collaboratively with the HCDExchange team members and team members of the organization to implement activities agreed upon.
- Facilitate and lead engagements or workshops with support from the HCDExchange Secretariat.
- Document the process of technical assistance alongside the HCDExchange Secretariat members.
Qualification, skills, and experience
- Experience in applying HCD methods and processes across varied contexts and organizations.
- Experience in conducting research activities and eliciting and interpreting insights from various audiences into usable learnings that communicate the audience’s experiences.
- Experience in planning and facilitating co-creation and ideation workshops and synthesizing workshop learnings to drive strategic decisions.
- Ability to build capacity and create resources that enable other members of the organization’s team to take on facilitation roles.
- Experience building and iterating on prototypes and testing them with relevant audiences for feedback.
- Experience in using design software to build prototypes.
- A formal education in Design (Visual/Graphic, Interaction, Product, Industrial, Service, etc.) A Masters Degree would be considered a plus.
- Qualification in and/or significant experience (5 years) using human-centered design (design research/design thinking) research methodologies is preferred. Experience working in the social impact sector, particularly in projects related to global health.
- Experienced global field researcher with the ability to professionally manage research methods and work within a team environment.
- Knowledge of emerging research approaches, tools, and ways to present findings.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Work well independently and in teams.
- A portfolio of HCD projects with a clear summary of contributions to the project.
Bonus! Tell us if:
- You have an understanding of digital UX and global web platforms
- You speak and/or write a second (particularly French) language
Duration of the Assignment
The period of this consultancy agreement will be spread over from January to December 2024. Upon pre-qualification, the exact number of hours/days will be determined based on the assignment and in consultation with the HCDExchange team.
To apply, please visit this link and submit your CV and a 1-page cover letter outlining why you’re an excellent candidate for this role. JSI is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate based on age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status, or other protected characteristics.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please note that:
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- We do not solicit for any fee payment at any stage of recruitment