What do you do?
HCDExchange is a Knowledge Hub dedicated to exploring how Human Centred design (HCD) can improve sexual and reproductive health and rights. We convene a Community of Practice that drives, shares and increases learning to help shape this field in low-resource settings. We generate and curate evidence on the value and application of HCD in AYSRH. We connect and facilitate the HCD and AYSRH stakeholders such as designers, health implementers, funders, evaluators and government to share and learn about opportunities, challenges and realities of integrating HCD in AYSRH programming. The curated resources such as evidence briefs, program reports, technical briefs, research articles and case studies are published in the HCDExchange resource repository.
What we don’t do:
- We are not a direct implementer in the field: While we do not have any active HCD+AYSRH projects, we lead the community by working towards a common learning agenda. Our dedication is to advance learning and knowledge within the HCD+AYSRH Community of Practice.
- We are not writing off other adaptive and participatory implementation approaches in focusing on HCD: We exist to explore, uncover new learning, and share gained knowledge with a community of interested stakeholders. We believe that HCD is one of many inclusive and effective approaches to meaningfully engaging project participants for better outcomes. Thus, our goal is to provide practitioners with guidance on when to use HCD versus other approaches and how to do it well, so that practitioners can make informed decisions and implement quality programs.
How can I get involved?
- The best way to stay up to date is to become a member, and sign up for the monthly newsletter. Along with updates on the HCD+AYSRH work going on in the field, we also share updates on our ongoing work and opportunities for members to participate.
- The next best way to get involved is to come to our events! We host bi-monthly events that range from highly interactive co-creation sessions, validation workshops sessions and masterclasses to panel discussions with experts from the field.
- You can also participate in the discussion forum. The forum is your connection to other practitioners working in the HCD+AYSRH field, where you learn about what other projects have done, and share your reflections. Here we share details about our learning and engagement processes, how we work, and content before and after events.
- Use our Resource Repository which has a curation of resources and materials on HCD+AYSRH and global health, and submit your resources for publishing.
Where are you based?
We are a global team based across Kenya, Ethiopia, Ghana, Senegal, India and USA. Our project geography is sub-Sahara Africa and South Asia.
Who can become a member?
Anyone interested in the application of human-centered design in adolescent sexual and reproductive health programming can join the community. This includes implementers, designers, youth and young professionals, evaluators, donors, researchers, and thought leaders in the design and global health space. It’s free to join.
I’d like to learn more about HCD
We connect our members and stakeholders to a wide range of learning resources including providing foundational training and orientation of the application of HCD to AYSRH and Global Health. Here is a list of useful and free online HCD courses and resources for anyone who is interested in learning more and developing their skills. We also have a list of key HCD terms that can help to get you started. Additionally, we partner with design agencies and experts to run workshops on HCD every quarter.