Frequently Asked Questions
What do you do?
The approach that we have built for doing this is a Community of Practice. While we don’t directly run our own HCD+ASRH projects, we lead the community and work towards a learning agenda.
What we don’t do:
- We are not an implementing project: We do not have any active HCD+ASRH projects in implementation. Our team and project are solely dedicated to running the Community of Practice and advancing our learning work.
- We are not a training body: While we do try to build skills and familiarity on both HCD and ASRH topics, we do this through collaborative events with HCDExchange member organizations.
- We are not evangelists for the use of HCD over other community participatory approaches: We are here to explore and learn, and share our learnings with a community of interested stakeholders. We believe that HCD is one of many inclusive and effective approaches to meaningfully engaging project participants, and our goal is to provide practitioners with guidance on when to use HCD versus other approaches and how to do it well, so that practitioners can make informed decisions and implement quality HCD.
How can I get involved?
- The best way to stay up to date on our work and opportunities is to become a member, and sign up for the monthly newsletter. Along with updates on the HCD+ASRH work going on in the field, we also share updates on our ongoing work and ways that members can get involved.
- The next best way to get involved is to come to our events! We host monthly events that range from highly interactive co-creation and validation sessions on our learning products to panel discussions with experts from the field.
- You can also participate in our online discussion forum. This is where we share details about our learning and engagement processes, how we work, and content before and after events. This is also where you can connect with other members, learn about projects, and share your reflections.
- How else can you get involved? Use our resources and share with us how it goes! Contribute to our resource repository. Share a job opportunity or interesting HCD+ASRH content for the monthly newsletter.
Where are you based?
We are a remote, global team, based across a number of countries including India, Kenya, Ghana, Niger, Ethiopia, and the USA. In our research work, we focus our exploration on projects based in sub-Saharan Africa and Southern Asia.
Who can become a member?
I’d like to learn more about HCD
While we do not directly train people on human-centered design, practitioners who are interested in learning more about HCD often come to us asking how they can learn more. Here is a list of great (and free) online HCD courses and resources for anyone who is interested in learning more and developing their own skills. We also partner with design agencies and experts to run workshops every quarter.